Friday, July 23, 2010

CAAAAKKKKKEEEEE!



TA-DAA! The cake was somewhat of a success. The first layer stuck to the pan, the second layer caved and the third layer was a dream so it was progessional success. Nothing wrong with that. The crumb of this cake is super moist and dense but the taste is nothing more than pure vanilla delicious-ness. After visiting the Bloom Baking Co. at the River Market last weekend and sampled a Bloomberry cake, I was determined to make my own. The owner Janet O'Toole has created the perfect combination of true vanilla pleasure meets super simple whipped dream frosting. I courageously asked about the frosting since it was nothing short of perfect for this cake and she shared 4 simple ingredients. I found my own combination and created my own bloomberry cake. Renamed the following:








Whipped Dream Vanilla Cake (with fruit):



2 c + 2 T cake flour
1 c milk
6 large egg whites
2 t vanilla
1 vanilla bean scraped
1 3/4 c sugar
4 t baking powder
1 t salt
8 T butter unsalted
4 T oil

Preheat oven 350 degrees.

Grease two 9 in cake pans. (I used 3-6 in cake pans.)

Combine milk, egg whites, vanilla, & vanilla bean in bowl. Set aside.

Sift dry ingredients into bowl. Cut in butter and oil until mixture resembles small crumbs. Gradually add in wet ingredients. Beat 3 minutes on medium speed. Scrape bowl and beat again another 30 seconds. Divide batter among pans. For two 9-in pans, bake approximately 30 min. For 3-6 in pans, bake 25-30 minutes. Watch the smaller pans because the time largely depends on how hot your oven runs. Mine baked closer to the 30 minute mark but because the cake is so dense and damp, I had to bake each one a few minutes longer. Let cool completely and frost. Between each layer and before I frosted I placed sliced strawberries. Yummy!

Whipped Dream frosting

1- 8 oz container mascarpone cheese
1-8 oz container cream cheese
1 regular size container cool whip
1 t (or more depending on your taste buds) almond extract.

Cream together the mascarpone, cream cheese and almond. FOLD in the cool whip. Keep cake chilled. Now go EAT UP!

BTW, this cake totally reminds me of a book I'm reading called Eat Cake by Jeanne Ray. It's terrific. Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment