Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Cherry Coke Salad



I definitely hit a nerve yesterday posting Cherry Coke Salad on the menu. Is there such thing? Yes and if you like cherry jello, fruit, cherries and bites full of fizzy wiggly deliciousness, then this is the 'salad' for you. I think salad is used a bit loosely here. It's more of a dessert jello dish. But it comes from The Best of Postal Recipes. This book was a staple in my husband's family menu's and I was so glad to happen upon a copy one day. It holds within all those awesome family reunion, picnic, some comfort food, one-of-a-kind goodies. Cherry coke salad is one of them and while it's definitely a treat, it's still a Foster fave. I've cut back on the sugar and used sugar free jello and even tried diet coke. Of course, I always add more fruit and my own mix of what I have. Just make it to your liking and enjoy each one of those fabulous fizzy bites!

Cherry Coke Salad

1 can pitted cherries
1 c sugar
1/2 c water
2 sm boxes cherry jello
2 c chilled coke
1 c walnuts (opt.)
1 sm can crushed pineapple

Put cherries, sugar, and water in saucepan and bring to boil. Pour in dry gelatin and stir. Remove from heat and let cool. Stir in cola, nuts and pineapple. Pour into a large dish or bowl and chill until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment