Thursday, August 26, 2010

Plink Plink Plink


This was the oh, so satisfying sound that graced my dining room this afternoon after I fulfilled my dream of making and canning my own homemade salsa. I made two different kinds, tomatillo and hatch green chile and then I made a more traditional salsa with corn and black beans. Yummy yummy yummy! My dad and family have been making salsa for as long as I can remember. I can recall many Septembers where the family got together and crowded around someones kitchen and made salsa. All day. These were the days of lightning bugs and hide-n-seek in the dark. Thanks to chiggers and the ever rampant seasonal allergies those days are fewer and farther apart but I still enjoy some deck time every now and again but the salsa-making days are still going strong. I'd say that salsa making runs through my family and salsa is definitely in our blood. The more it makes you sweat, the better. I've finally picked up the craft and I'm proud of my first batch. I'll be making more and experimenting along the way just like my fam has. So here's to the first of many! Getcha some chips folks and maybe a drink or two...you may need it.



Tomatillo & Hatch Green Chile Salsa


3 c roma tomatoes, peeled

1/2 red onion

1 lbs. Hatch green chiles, roasted

1-1 1/2 lbs. fresh Hatch green chiles, halved & seeded

1/2 bunch cilantro

6 serrano peppers, halved and seeded

6 limes, squeezed

black pepper to taste

1 1/2 T salt


I processed everything in a food processor and then cooked on medium-low heat for 30 minutes until simmering. Then I canned in a water bath for 15 minutes. This has medium heat.



Traditional Salsa


3-5 lbs tomatoes, peeled

1 1/2 T pickling salt

1/4 c vinegar

1 red onion

4 t minced garlic

1/2 bag mini carrots

3 medium potatoes

1/2-1 lbs Hatch green chiles, halved and seeded
1 poblano, halved and seeded

5 jalapenos

6 Serranos, both halved and seeded

6 T Mrs. Wages salsa seasoning


Process everything in a food processor. Cook over medium-low heat until simmering for about 20 minutes. Can in water bath for 15 minutes. Voila!

3 comments:

  1. I knew you would figure this out someday! Looks great, cannot wait to try a sample tonight. I'll bring some chips. I know once I get started you will probably not have enough. Corn and black bean is the direction I am heading. Love, dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad, the tomatillo batch is pretty good too. I have two jars here waiting for ya. See you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love the sound of those lids!!! We haven't made salsa yet this year. Our tomato plants didn't do well, so we'll have to buy some. I LOVE homemade salsa!

    ReplyDelete