Sunday, August 22, 2010

Salads


I am loving me some salads right now. I've tried two this past week and both were a pleasant surprise and created profound happiness in my mouth for one, and happiness in my heart to know that it was something healthy that I made up for the Foster fam. The first one is a colorful, super kid friendly salad with edamame and corn along with some other friends and the second was a spring mix salad that was tart, sweet, and so DELICIOUS that I had to have a second plate (all without feeling the slightest bit guilty) because it's healthy. Surprisingly, both were filling and I left the table feeling quite full and didn't feel the need to sneak a snack later on, a good thing for me right now. I'm the snacker and I'm going on two months without my super snacking frenzies that I'm very capable of not avoiding. So here you go, some super yummy rabbit food for you and the fam to guiltlessly devour. Eat up and have some seconds!
Spring Mix & Pear Salad
1 pkg Spring mix

2/3 c pecan halves
1/4 c balsamic vinegar, divided
dash cayenne pepper
dash cinnamon
3 T sugar divided
1/4 c olive oil
1 t dijon mustard
1/8 t salt
2 medium pears thinly sliced
1/4 c parmesan cheese
In skillet, cook pecan halves with 2 T vinegar, cayenne & cinnamon over medium heat. Sprinkle with 1 T sugar and cook until sugar is melted, 2-4 minutes. Spread on foil to cool.
Put spring mix in bowl and top with sliced pear.
Whisk oil, mustard, remaining vinegar and salt. I added a pinch of sugar. Drizzle over salad and top with nuts. The nuts in this salad are killer! Would be a great snack too.


Corn & Edamame Salad
3 ears corn
2 T olive oil
1 1/2 c edamame, cooked and drained
1 tomato, seeded and chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, slivered
2 T red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
Boil corn for 10-12 minutes. Cut corn off cob and put into bowl. Add edamame, tomato and bell pepper. Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, salt, garlic and s & p. Pour over corn mixture. Serve immediately. This will keep up to 3 days in fridge. Yummy and colorful!



1 comment: